The Panama Papers are a leaked set of 11.5 million confidential documents that provide detailed information about more than 214,000 offshore companies. According to the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, the historic data leak tied “140 politicians from more than 50 countries, connected to offshore companies in 21 different tax havens.” The leak is so big that China’s government is suppressing mentions of the Panama Papers on social media and in search engines results. It also told news organizations to delete all content related to the Panama Papers leak. Here are 5 biggest revelations from the Panama Papers as detailed on Vox:
- The Panama Papers caught Iceland’s prime minister in an incredible conflict of interest
- The $2 billion trail in the Panama Papers that leads to Vladimir Putin
- Brazil is on the brink of political collapse, and the Panama Papers added fuel to the fire
- China wishes the Panama Papers never happened
- Argentina’s president ran on a campaign of transparency. Now he has been named in the Panama Papers.