Wisdom really does come with age. Derodave collected some good advice from some old people. We can learn a few things from their advice:
- Stuff is just stuff. Don’t hold onto material objects, hold onto time and experiences instead.
- Pay your bills and stay the hell out of debt. If I could have paid myself all the money I’ve paid out in interest over the years, I’d be retired already.
- The most important person in your life is the person who agreed to share their life with you. Treat them as such.
- People always say, ’’Make sure you get a job doing what you love!’’ But that isn’t the best advice. The right job is the job you love some days, can tolerate most days, and still pays the bills. Almost nobody has a job they love every day.
- Nobody ever dies wishing they had worked more. Work hard, but don’t prioritize work over family, friends, or even yourself.
- Don’t take anyone else’s advice as gospel. You can ask for advice from someone you respect, then take your situation into consideration and make your own decision.
- If you have a dream of being or doing something that seems impossible, try for it anyway. It will only become more impossible as you age and become responsible for other people.